Tuesday 7 August 2012

As you like it

Just when you thought it was all over and the best had passed, the Olympics delivered another magical day.

I dropped Ben and Rob off at the station and cycled accross town to the park aware that I only had a few shifts left to go. Now my mind starts to wanter to what is it going to feel like to go back to work and try to take some of the positives with me.

There is a massive feeling of uplift as you walk onto the Olympic park. As I walk in I say hello to a few members of the public and have a quick chat to find out what they are going to be seeing. Then there will be all the good mornings with the security staff and anyone else. Finally you are in the park.

We are quiet agian as every thing is running smoothly which means that I get the chance to meet a friend Candi who has been lucky enough to get tickets to see the hockey and I direct them to have their photos taken with the torch that David Beckham carried.

While we are waiting for things to happen we get Gold and Bronze in the triathlon and the office starts to buzz. Then it's another Gold for the dressage and you can feel the exitement levels increase around the park as the word goes round.
I get a chance to watch the BMX athletes practice. I think this is going to be one of the events of the games. It looks amazing and very difficult. Lets hope the GB athletes do well.



And as if things haven't been good enough so far I get asked to help out in the Velodrome for the afternoon session. I think most of the others on the team know that I am a cyclist and they have been very generous in giving me some very good things to do. An afternoon supporting the press in the tribunes means that you get to watch the sport (providing there are no issues) from one of the best positions in the house. The only think lacking is the crowd. Fortunately in the Velodrome the crowd are never far away and although you are removed, there is still a fantastic atmosphere.

To be able to watch sport of the standard that I saw yesterday evening was a dream come true. Laura Trott was fantastic. For someone who is only 20 she showed a greatr deal of composure.


Victoria Pendleton looked to have an off day. Whether that was down to pressure or not I do not know. In the first heat it looked to me as if Anna Mears tried to unnerve Pendleton as they were coming towards the line and maybe it was that and the resulting relegation that meant that in the second sprint she wasn't in the right frame of mind as Anna Mears wone comfortably.

Chris Hoy was simply untouchable and the icing on the cake is that we had Matthew Pincent watching a couple of yards away.






No comments:

Post a Comment