Tuesday 31 July 2012

Day two another early start

I wake at 4 and quickly fall back to a deep sleep so that when my alarm rings at 5 I don't really feel much like getting up and on the road for work. One of the things that I have thought is that since I am a cyclist and I have the dram ticket of working in the velodrome that I should cycle as much as possible during the games. It's about a 15 mile run into the Olympic park along the lee valley. 20 years ago the lee valley was an industrial wasteland which nobody visited. These days you can cycle into london in complete safety without meeting a single car.

As I am not 100% sure about where to get onto the cycle path and I am in a hurry I cycle on a fairly quiet road. It's Sunday a lovelly sunny morning and there are very few people out this early. After a while I see a sign to the cycle path and I am off the roads and into another world which leads me through lush green fields and scrub land to the Olympic park.

The walk in is very uplifting and I make a mental note to relish every moment.

My day has a different feel as mostly it is spent in the velodrome. Occasionally we get to go upstairs in to the arena and watch what is going on. During the build up to the first race all the teams have been allocated two hour training slots. Big names from all over the world are there in front of me as I watch. It is really a dream come true to be able to see and be part of the build up to something great. The British cycling team is at the top of their game and we are all hopeful that something will happen in the women's road race to make up for the previous days disappointment in the men's event.

Later on I go back up into the arena and before me the gb team are on the track and I have the privilege of seeing them. Chris Hoy passes within inches of where I am standing. All the while the women's road race is being played on the big screens so that the athletes can watch as they train. A big cheer goes up as lizzie Armistead starts team gb on their meadel quest by getting silver.

No comments:

Post a Comment