Tuesday 31 July 2012

Basketball

A blog written by someone working at the Olympic games just wouldn't be complete with at least some mention of sport. It's a strange one as I am actually not getting to see that much. We are dipping in and out. The offices where I work we have live feeds from all of the action going in at any one time in all of the venues. However given that there are so many nations and people with different sporting bents represented we never have the same thing in for long. It's a constant channel hop.

On Monday evening towards the end of my shift I was asked if I wanted to watch the next basketball match. There was no way I was going to turn down an offer like that. I donned my team GB t-shirt and went to the break area where we were told to meet. A number of other people turned up and we were ushered into the arena to the best court side seats where we were privileged to watch Australia against France in the women's basketball qualifying. As we sat there a match of a very high standard unfolded.

I have never been to a proper basketball game before, but after the spectacle I saw, I am a complete convert and I can understand why it is so big in the USA. It's fast, committed and above all utterly engaging. The players give their all and for a non contact sport it is very physical. I certainly wouldn't mess with any of the girls on the court. They were tough mean and dedicated to the job.

Australia got the better of France to start with. However by half time it was still too close to call. France had a very good third quarter and looked like they would go on to win. The Australian girls never gave up and were two points adrift as the clock was rapidly counting down. In the very last throw they scored from away out to level the game. The arena went wild. The uninitiated like me assumes that they would both share the points, but no. 5 more minutes of the best sport possible. France narrowly winning in a very dramatic game. Almost as as good from a drama point of view as a five day test where the outcome is uncertain until the final session.

It is a shame that it is not possible for all the spectators to shake hands with the sports women. They certainly deserved it and I can not recall seeing sport that good so intimately. With big stadium games like football or rugby you are removed from experiencing the little things going on in the field of play. Not so with basketball.

There is so much more that could be said. The half time dancers, the compare and the crowd all came together to create an unforgettable experience for every one there.

No comments:

Post a Comment