Tuesday 31 July 2012

What a night - the opening ceremony

We make it to our campsite, park the van up and get our bikes out. Now speed is the essence of the day as we know that if we don't get down to Victoria park we will miss the chance to watch on the big screens which have been setup.

The quick change from van to bikes comes back to bite as when we arrive in hackney I discover that my wallet is nowhere to be found. I rack my mind. Have I lost it? I can remember leaving it on the dashboard of the van but I can't be sure. Fortunately a friend Rachael is at the front of the queue and very kindly offers to lend me £50 which I gladly accept with a huge feeling of relief. I give the boys some money to get some food and leave them in the queue while I go off to drop out stuff in islington where we are staying. On my way back to Victoria park I learn that my wallet is safe in my van and I can relax and enjoy the evening. It's nearly 5 when I get back to the boys and the queue behind them snakes it's way back into the distance.

After an hour we are let in and we get a good place near the biggest screen and watch the bbc coverage. The atmosphere is fantastic. Happy people from all over the world are coming together to share and experience the Olympic games.

The red arrows roar overhead on their way across London to loud cheers and we all tingle with the anticipation. Finally the ceremony starts and the crowd falls silent as we watch the greatest show on earth unfold. We are within a stones throw and we see the queen and Craig Daniel make their dramatic entrance. For those nay sayers out there yes it really happened!

Time wizzes by as there is just so much to take on board and before we know it the athletes are entering. The crowd lulls, however every few minutes a contingent jumps up and cheered as their athletes enter the stadium.

Before we know it the finale starts and we can see the fireworks over the park. Wow!

We finally hit the sack back in islington just before two am still buzzing with excitement. My alarm has been set for 5 but I am very happy that I have taken as much from the day as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment